How to create purpose and direction in 2022: Part 1
In order to create purpose and direction, you need to have first have a singular destination in mind (aka ONE goal) and you need to know how to get there (how to create a simple plan that you'll actually follow).
Today, we're going to talk about the pitfalls that come up when setting a goal, why you haven't hit the goals you've set before, and what to do so you can feel purposeful in your pursuit of hitting your goal in 2022.
Here's what I typically see:
- You set a goal and you think that's enough
- You plan out 57 things to do in the first week of the new year
- You rely on motivation + excitement to follow through
- You set 5 different goals in 5 different areas (money, fitness, health, spirituality, personal)
- You expect that your new goal excitement will last
Why this doesn't work:
1. A new goal isn't about doing things differently; it's about BEING someone different, with new beliefs. You have to change your beliefs first in order to change your behavior.
2. 57 things is too complicated and when things are complicated, you will avoid and procrastinate and then give up on your plan. In order to follow through, you need a clear and simple plan.
3. You do not need motivation or excitement to follow through; you need commitment.
4. When you have 5 different goals it's like having 5 GPS's set to 5 different destinations. You will have no idea which one to follow and you will get nowhere. Pick ONE goal for the year. Do not change it. Let it be enough. It doesn't matter which goal you pick; if you stick with it until you hit it you WILL learn the process of goal creation. And once you learn the process of goal creation you can rinse and repeat with ANY goal.
5. Your excitement will not last. This is a sign you're fantasizing that things will be better when you're at your goal. You are incorrect AND this is the long, painful way to hit goals.
Here's what to do instead:
1. Uncover the stories you've been telling about yourself and your ability to make the changes you want to make. Unless you bring these beliefs to the surface and clear them out, you won't hit your goals. The identity shift comes before the long-term behavior shift. If you can change short term but revert back to your old ways after a few weeks, it's because you haven't uncovered and cleared out your old beliefs.
2. Set your goal and create a simple, clear plan for January (covering how to do this tomorrow!)
3. Learn how to cultivate commitment to your simple plan. When you stick with your simple plan, it will become habitual. Then you can stack on another simple plan. This is what creates serious momentum.
4. Set ONE goal. One.
5. Settle in and enjoy the process. Don't be in a rush. Focus intentionally on the progress you've already made instead of how far you have to go. This is how to actually have fun with goal setting and this is how to hit your goals, fast.
Tomorrow, we're going to cover how to create your simple plan for January!
See you then!
P.S. If you're ready to feel calm and purposeful in 2022, it starts by enjoying your time now, without the pressure and without the stress. Ready? Schedule your free consult.